#teamlovely has been celebrating Learning Pool’s 4th birthday for the past week or so – just look at that cake in the photo. There’ve been many times in the last 4 years that the achievement of this milestone seemed like a tall order – but resilience has always been the order of the day round here so we’ve just kept our heads down and carried on plugging away. A rather frightening statistic is that 75% of new start ups have crashed & burned by the end of Year 3 – so it’s good to be in a successful minority, especially during the current global economic recession. As we reach the end of our celebrations, this has got me thinking about the highlights of the last 4 years for Paul & me (this blog is a bit selfish for which I apologise now). Here they are in no particular order:
1. Getting to see Bill Clinton in Derry this week – that was cool & so was he (disappointed you didn’t mention “digital” Bill – ah well)
2. In the early days, making a snap decision to go ahead & build Modern Councillor whilst crossing the West End of London in a taxi – it’s been a roaring success ever since
3. Also in the early days, receiving a Letter of Offer from one of the Belfast VCs and turning it down – twice!
4. Blagging our way in to spending 45 minutes with a Director of Education in Capitol Hill & listening to his sage advice
5. Reaching the final of the 2008 All Ireland Seedcorn competition and having a great night out with our team
6. Following on from No 5, our team meeting Jerry Kennelly (founder of Stockbyte that was sold to Getty Images in 2006 for $135m) at the Seedcorn awards party and having him tell us we have a great company, to keep doing what we’re doing & not to take any investment (thanks Jerry!)
7. Holding a launch party in Johannesburg in Nov 2009 at the UK Trade Commissioner’s residence and having lovely Baroness Glenys Kinnock, Minister for Africa, as our keynote speaker
8. Being overjoyed when Donald Clark approached us and subsequently offered to join our board as a non exec director (great to have you on board Donald – #teamlovely loves you to bits)
9. Welcoming 200 people to our annual conference at London’s Royal Mint on 12 May 2010 and receiving their fabulous feedback
10. Being one of Deloitte’s Rising Stars at the end of 2009
11. Knowing that we’re well on our way to building the biggest & best public sector online learning community in the world
OK – so there were 11…here’s to the next batch!